- hot plate
- nouna portable electric appliance for heating or cooking or keeping food warm• Syn: ↑hotplate• Hypernyms: ↑kitchen appliance
* * *noun1. : a heated iron plate (as on a cooking range) for cooking or for keeping food warm2. : a simple portable gas or electric heater for heating liquids or laboratory materials or for cooking in limited spaces3. : a food plate with a hot-water jacket for keeping food warm (as for infants or invalids)
* * *1. a portable appliance for cooking, formerly heated by a gas burner placed underneath it, now heated chiefly by an electrical unit in the appliance.2. a hot meal, usually consisting of meat, potato, and a vegetable, served all on one plate and usually at a set price at a restaurant or lunch counter.3. a plate that can retain heat in order to keep food hot.[1835-45]
* * *hot plate,1. a small, portable electric stove with one or two burners, for heating or cooking food or beverages.2. a plate with a cover for keeping food hot.3. a heated flat surface on a stove for cooking or keeping dishes or food warm.4. a plate of hot food.
* * *n. a flat heated surface (or a set of these), typically portable, used for cooking food or keeping it hot
* * *noun, pl ⋯ plates [count]: a small portable device with a metal plate used for cooking or heating food
Useful english dictionary. 2012.